Pages

Other Places to Follow

Photobucket

Other Places to Follow

TwitterFacebookYouTubeFeedPhotobucket

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Layered Side Hawk: Photo Tutorial

Hi Ladies,

I came up with this new hairstyle that I wanted to show you guys.

Here's some hair products I used to achieve and maintain this look:

Knot Today: I'm a biiiiig fan of the Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner. It leaves my hair smelling yummy and it has a short list of ingredients I can pronounce.


Economically Feasible Alternative: Since I have to order this conditioner online, I'll normally use my shea butter hair lotion. Also I've been using the Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner by Organic Root Stimulator. It's about 1/2 the price of Knot Today; however, the downside is that it's not an all natural product (i.e. some of the ingredients I may need to get my scientific-savvy boyfriend to pronounce).


Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: Y'all I love this stuff. Its raw, earthy smell is soooo heavenly to me. If you use this, please be sure to store in a cool place if you want it to be solid.

Economically Feasible Alternative: Extra Virgin Olive Oil works just as great for me. However, for you Harry Potter fans I love Professor Snape's profession--Potions Master. I like to mix all of these oils together (I'm extremely generous with olive oil). Use whichever one works for you.



Distilled Water: I use distilled or purified water (if I have it) in my daily spritz for added moisture. But ladies, I can't stress enough the importance of drinking LOTS AND LOTS of water. Around the time I started going natural (the second time around) I became more health conscious. I really believe my increased intake of water helped my hair grow like wild fire.


Economically Feasible Alternative: Um, there isn't one. But if you can't rack up on bottled water, faucet water can be used for the hair (but I would boil it before drinking).

The Layered Side Hawk is a great style for its versatility. The side hawk below is on a week old twist out. You can also achieve this same look using locs, braid outs, or kinky twists extensions.




STEP ONE


Make sure your hair is moisturized and properly detangled.
Also have some hair pins handy. 




STEP TWO


Gather a section of hair. Flat twist your hair away from your face.


Secure flat twist with a bobby pin.




STEP THREE


Perform step two with a section of hair directly behind the first flat twist. With just 1-2 flat twists you could rock a side do that's not as bold as the side hawk. I also do this simple style when I want to minimze the frizz at the crown of my head.




STEP FOUR


Continue steps 2-3 until you achieve the desired look. The above right picture is with 4 flat twists. I like this style when I want to accentuate the contrast between the front and back of my head. Also its a great way to show off earrings.




FINISHED LOOK




That's all for now ladies. Stay tuned to my Youtube Channel AFR0ST0RY.
I'll be uploading a twistout tutorial video and other goodies soon.


As always...
Within all of us is a story.
So, sistahs, tell yours or no one else will. 

~ ONE LOVE ~